Thursday, July 2, 2009

Film/HD

I have been watching some amazing indie film clips on YOUTUBE and VIMEO, truly cool stuff. I congratulate these fellow filmmakers, they are out there doing it, and that is a wonderful thing....

Sometimes, because of budget problems, or simply because some camera people are just too eager to shoot without studying a bit of the cinematography craft ( no problem there, I was the same), the imagery suffers and the project truly looks low budget.

First of all, right off the bat, lets clear the myth. yes film is a better format, but HD can compete and sometimes even look better (yes, I've done it). I am a film guy and for most of my career film has been my bread and butter.. BUT its time to RESPECT BOTH formats, be open minded and start shooting, no matter the format.

Film and HD are B O T H great, most of the time HD stuff looks crappy because the operator IS crappy.

THE CAMERA IS NOT THE THING, THE PERSON BEHIND THE CAMERA IS THE MAIN THING. JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE A CAMERA DOESN'T MAKE YOU A CINEMATOGRAPHER, YOU HAVE TO LEARN THE CRAFT!

I keep hearing things like " I got the RED camera and stuff like that"...The RED ain't going to make your project "pretty", YOU ARE.

So go and study the craft, be a true Director, DP or Editor, or whatever, study the craft.

It is an awesome time to be a filmmaker!!!!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis